Sunday, February 27, 2011

Flower and Garden Show 2011

I enjoyed this purple theme.

It has become a tradition to attend the Flower and Garden Show in Seattle. Each year I attend with my mom and a couple of her (our) friends.This year I left my kids and household life behind, thoroughly enjoyed the drive through the enchanting snow and immersed myself in a world of beautiful flowers and other people's hard work.

One of my favorite aspects of the Flower and Garden Show is the welcome. No, there is nothing exceptional about the greeters, although they do a fine job. The welcome I love is the smell. As I walk through the doors, the overwhelming perfume of hyacinth intoxicates me. Well, it doesn't really intoxicate me, but I do feel as if I am suddenly on a gardening high. Nothing matters but the flowers. The fragrance. The colors. The beauty. Ahhh...

This year, the theme was "Once Upon a Time..." I assume that the displays were supposed to incorporate this theme in one way or another, but the theme was not always very easy to recognize. The theme was obvious in this one, and one of my favorites:


I don't remember what the intended theme was for this one, but each year this group does an impressive garden display, making me wish I had unlimited resources and could transform my backyard into a woodland paradise. The trees are immense, the boulders gigantic and the feeling is that you happened upon a hidden natural wonder.

This following display really fed my desire to live (and garden) in the country.





While wandering around, looking at the abundance of items the vendors were trying to sell, it was easy to feel overwhelmed. In the midst of it all, I had a good laugh. This sign reminded me of so many people I know who cannot seem to function without their coffee. (Don't worry, they will remain nameless.)

Each year I attend, it seems like I come home with at least one inspiration. Last year, it was the chicken tractor and how it can be incorporated into a small, city garden. This year, my inspiration is a playhouse for my girls. I don't know if we will build one or not, but it is my current garden dream.

In the midst of such inspiration and beauty, what did I purchase? Well, not very much. Last year (and maybe the year before) I drooled over this little lime green spruce, but I managed to resist the urge to buy it. This year, I went all out. I spent that $6.99 on the "Wilma" spruce. The foliage is lime green, and after rubbing it, smells of citrus. I am looking forward to potting it next to my front door. The Gerbera Daisies were cheap. How could I resist that?

3 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the contrast of snowy, cold outside to the beautiful spring gardens inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you invite me next year? I've always wanted to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that would be so fun, Sara! It is pretty much always in mid to late February. You may have to remind me next year... :)

    ReplyDelete